Frequently Asked Questions
Which Pad Do I Need?
Use these questions to help you decide which pad is best for you.
- How long? The general rule of thumb is that you want your saddle pad to stick out 1"-2" in both the front AND the back of your saddle skirts. For example, if your saddle skirts are 26" long from nose-to-tail, you would be okay with choosing a Barrel (28" long) or a Regular (30" long) skirt pad. However, if your saddle skirts are 27" long, you would have to go with a Regular Skirt pad.
- What shape? Choose a skirt shape that complements your saddle skirts.
- How long will you be riding? If you ride more than four hours at one time on a regular basis, you need a pad that is at least 7/8" thick.
- How much do you weigh? If you and your gear together weigh more than 200 lbs., you should get at least a 7/8" pad, but a 1" would be better.
- What kind of terrain will you be riding on? If you regularly ride over mountainous or hilly areas, again, you want at least a 7/8" thick pad, but 1" would be better.
What is different about the mule contour?
The mule contour uses a gentler curve along the spine, and has a wider profile over the shoulders to allow for the mule's unique wither and body shape.
Would a mule contour be better for my mutton-withered horse?
"Mutton withers" is the term used to describe a horse that has a flatter curvature to their back, or lower withers. The answer to this question is "Yes." Many of my customers have found that the mule contour is exactly what their mutton-withered horse needs, and that the horse contour had too much curve for them (see image, right). However, please be sure that you truly do have a "mutton-withered" horse, or you may be frustrated with your pad not conforming well into the dip of your horse's back.
Why is there a price difference between "Natural" items and the other colours?
Natural felt and cord has been processed much less than dyed ones. Therefore, when you purchase a dyed product, you are paying for the materials and labour that went into creating it.
Will you take custom orders?
While my listings already allow for a great deal of personalization, I can't think of everything. Please contact me and I will be happy to work with you and 5 Star to turn your vision into a reality.
How long will it take my item to get here?
Please see the "Shipping and Delivery" section on my Customer Service page.